Wikipedia puts CV or computer vision in a very simple and straight forward definition. Computer vision is an interdisciplinary scientific field that deals with how computers can gain high-level understanding from digital images or videos. From the perspective of engineering, it seeks to understand and automate tasks that the human visual system can do.
Organisations can use computer vision to solve multiple problems in order to achieve efficiency, saving costs and of course reliability. Computer vision is the hottest technology within deep learning. It uses mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics, neuroscience and cognitive science.
We have been developing our capabilities in key areas like OCR and Video AI. OCR is a field of research in pattern recognition, artificial intelligence and computer vision. We use video AI for preventive maintenance, surveillance, process compliance, health and safety.
AI can go today a step ahead and take multiple actions based on what it understands from the image. Computer vision have multiple applications
- Partitioning an image into multiple regions to be examined separately and this is known as Image segmentation.
- Object detection: which is identifying a specific object in an image. Advanced algorithms can identify multiple objects in an image, In an image of a street, it is capable of identifying cars, vehicles, people, animals and so on.
- Facial recognition is an advanced type of object detection and a use case of computer vision which you use may be whenever you pick your phone to do a task
- Pattern detection: It is used in identifying repeated shapes, colours and other objects in images.
- Image classification: It is used to group images into different categories into their specific categories
There are much more advance applications of computer vision which is used in self-driving cars. A self-driving vehicle needs sensory input devices like cameras, radar and lasers to create a digital map which in turns allows the car to perceive/see the world around it. The application uses a great deal of computer vision, AI and machine learning at all times.
Computer vision is going to shape your world and will be used extensively in your lives at almost everywhere like home, office, phone, cars, security and even on internet to monitor fake news and explicit videos or photos.
You are still using computer vision without knowing that the app involves it and that’s the best part of great technology that it doesn’t burdens you with how to run it, it just seamless integrates with your life.
If you have any questions, write to us.